In this section you will find our uniquely-commissioned reference manuals and guides to a wide range of practice-related topics (our guide to… series).
Reference manuals: Each reference manual provides you with an authoritative document containing highly relevant information about issues such as child neglect; parents with mental health problems; fabricated and induced illness; physical abuse; and substance misuse.
Whatever the subject, each one will contain:
- An introduction to the subject;
- Descriptions of key legislation and guidance;
- An explanation of the role of the social worker;
- Discussion of emerging ideas around good practice; and
- A host of links to relevant research, publications and reports.
Written in user-friendly, straightforward language by nationally-respected experts, reference manuals are kept up to date by their authors, and amended as policy changes.
Guide to… series: These guides have been developed to give you access, at your fingertips, to expert-written information across a huge range of topics related to, and complementing, our reference manuals; research; legal; and practice content.
There are more than 350 guides on the site covering topics including:
- Child abuse and child protection
- Autism and learning-disabled children
- Child development
- Mental health conditions and the impact on parenting
- Assessing risk
- Preparing for court
If you can’t find the information you are looking for, or you would like to suggest a topic for a new guide, e-mail us at Helpdesk with more detail and we will do our best to help you with your query.